Wrath: Feel The Heat, Bodega, Birmingham, 05/10/15


I was invited to a blogger event at Bodgea Cantina in Birmingham, a contemporary bar that serves homemade South American food. I have been once before but was excited to be invited back by Bitters N' Twisted for the blogger event Wrath: Feel The Heat. I had been to Bodega a couple of times before and loved the food and drinks and therefore couldn't wait to see what this event was like!

All the bloggers took over the downstairs area, the Sugarloaf Bar on one giant table. We were greeted by Vicky from Bitters N Twisted and given an introduction about the evening and Bodega. I loved the colourful walls and the great atmosphere, it would make a fantastic private party venue! 

I was greeted with a Margarita, what a great way to be greeted! I loved the glass and the rim had salt round it, very traditional and VERY tasty.



They wanted to showcase some of their best dishes, which was good as I hadn't tried any of them before and they all looked delicious. 

Salad
Mango Salad - mango, leaves, cherry tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, sweetcorn and raspberry vinaigrette.

This was a delicious salad, I would definitely have this as a side dish with some spicy food as it was very refreshing, sweet and tangy and was certainly more interesting than the 'normal' salad I have at work in my lunch break. It was very fresh tasting and all the flavours worked so well together. 

Main
Xim Xim - traditional Brazilian stew. 

We were told this was one of the most popular dishes at Bodega and I could certainly see why. This traditional Brazilian stew was served with dirty rice. It was a creamy chicken dish with prawns and a peanut sauce. I loved this! I don't actually like peanuts but this sauce was subtle, tasty and so creamy. The chicken and prawns were cooked perfectly and I would love to return and have a whole bowl of this to myself. 

'Snack' 
Vegetarian Tacos - avocado, sweet potato, black beans, salsa, pine nuts & sour cream. 

I would never usually choose vegetarian tacos but I was glad to try something a bit different and I wasn't disappointed. I really enjoyed this dish, all the flavours worked so well together and I loved how the avocado was served in big chunks and it wasn't mushy at all. They can be adapted by using lettuce leaves instead of tortillas - great for a gluten free or healthier option! 

We were also served some cocktails that were made from tequila, rum or cachaca. 

We have Caipirinhas, Mojitos and Peach Sangria - which was my favourite. 


Marcel, the barman gave us a talk about Mexican spirits and how they are made and how Bodega has 50 types of tequila! Could certainly get very messy on a Friday evening! He was very knowledgable and I enjoyed trying all the cocktails, very naughty on a school night.


Next ... dessert time!

Dessert
Pastel de Chocolate Pegajoso - homemade gluten free chocolate cake with pistachio praline.

White Chocolate & Mojito Cheesecake

Both of these desserts were delicious. I was surprised how good the chocolate cake was without flour, but it was moist and full of flavour and the cheesecake was creamy, fresh and I could taste the hint of mojito which was a great touch. I really enjoyed both of these desserts. 

Overall, a fantastic event at Bodgea - I love this restaurant/bar, its a great meeting place with friends for cocktails and a few light-bites, the food is full of flavour and the menu is varied. I really enjoyed this, thank you to Bodgea & Brumderland!

*The food and drink at this event was complimentary, but as always, all opinions are my own. 





No comments:

Post a Comment